Wait … this is Botswana isn’t it?
We have been through several countries now and have become accustomed to seeing a fair amount of poverty and slums. Africa has a long way to go in some places toward modernization, as they call it. On our way to Botswana we kind of expected to see more or the same. Not having been here before, we didn’t really know what to expect.
Imagine our surprise when we arrived at our hotel and it was super clean and modern and organized and it looked like, do I dare say – Disneyland? I mean the hotel across from ours is downright elegant (pictured above, it's probably the nicest hotel in the country, but hey). I told Fiona, this place reminds me of Scottsdale, Arizona. Even the weather was great, 90 degrees, clear blue sunny skies and low humidity.
We were thinking, are you kidding me? This place is really nice, clean, new, everything works, - wow, what a surprise.
Mind you, as we spent more time here we saw some stuff that was not as nice and there are poor people here, but not very many. Apparently Botswana has a better standard of living than almost any country in Africa. But this place is peaceful, prosperous, politically stable, and the people are happy.
Imagine our surprise when we arrived at our hotel and it was super clean and modern and organized and it looked like, do I dare say – Disneyland? I mean the hotel across from ours is downright elegant (pictured above, it's probably the nicest hotel in the country, but hey). I told Fiona, this place reminds me of Scottsdale, Arizona. Even the weather was great, 90 degrees, clear blue sunny skies and low humidity.
We were thinking, are you kidding me? This place is really nice, clean, new, everything works, - wow, what a surprise.
Mind you, as we spent more time here we saw some stuff that was not as nice and there are poor people here, but not very many. Apparently Botswana has a better standard of living than almost any country in Africa. But this place is peaceful, prosperous, politically stable, and the people are happy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home