kevin and fiona

We are Kevin and Fiona and we have departed from Jefferson Oregon ... we will start heading West and keep going. The plan is to just keep heading West until we come back around to Oregon.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Harvest Time at the Farm




So I've been growing Christmas Trees for about five and a half years and they are mature and ready for the holiday season now, and you can see from the pictures above that there has been a large harvest in the range of 2,000 trees which are destined for Texas of all places, and as we speak they are on their way there, and I hope that the fine folks in Texas will enjoy these wonderful fresh Douglas fir trees, grown in Jefferson and sent to them with loving care after being cut and "bailed" which means they are run through a large device that kind of compresses them and wraps them in twine, and you might think that this is a highly profitable business endeavor but not for me, because I don't make much money on them when all is said and done, but I feel somewhat proud to play a small part of the Oregon Christmas tree industry, which dominates the American supply of Christmas trees to the tune of around 80% of the supply, and there are still a couple thousand trees left for next year, along with a whole buncha noble fir trees that won't be ready for a couple more years, and after they are all harvested I will probably replant the whole deal and keep participating in this because it's kinda fun and it helps to keep the planet green and will decorate someone's living room - Ho, Ho, Ho!

2 Comments:

Blogger scotty and crystal said...

I want a Christmas tree, can Fiona bring one when she comes?

It's so crazy to see the fog and trees, it looks cold. It's really nice though to see pictures of home. I like the heat, but I miss the fall, it's my favorite season.

November 21, 2008 at 3:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We'll take a tree too...they are wicked expensive down south here :)

November 21, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home