kevin and fiona

We are Kevin and Fiona and we have departed from Jefferson Oregon ... we will start heading West and keep going. The plan is to just keep heading West until we come back around to Oregon.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

They Don't Grow Bananas in Britain


So the globe trotting continues and this week I am in the United Kingdom, yes it is a Kingdom, although they have a Queen, does that make it a "Queendom"? But I digress, and the reason I am here is not altogether good.

My venture into business and global expansion in Britain has run into a serious road block - the bureaucracy - and of all things to jeopardize the operation here, I would have never expected it to be the immigration agency, for they have prevented our American manager from re-entering the country here, and the business will not function without him.
Actually, there is some option to keep it running here, but the business climate in both the US and the UK is pretty bad (really bad?), and this is no time to be taking foolish chances - for, after all is said and done, I am a realist and I know when to say when and this is the time to say it ...
I have faced many mighty opponents in the history of the company, but the relentless bureaucracy of the UK has brought this thing to a screeching halt, and with the current economic climate, there is little appetite to "keep on keeping on", especially when that means losing money and hoping for the best, so as soon as I found out that this was not gonna fly, I got on a plane (by the way, my wife Fiona is the best and most clever travel agent in the history of mankind) and flew here to wind it down and find the most graceful way to "discontinue" our operation here.
I have one more day here and I fly home. It's cold here and it's not like Africa, where it's sunny and warm and they grow bananas and eat a lot of them and you have to get used to sweating a lot and ... sorry, there I go again and losing my train of thought.
But I kinda feel like this is not the end of the story, that we all live to fight another day, and I am keeping the corporate shell/holding company alive here and who knows? we are likely to be here in the future, so I am going for a walk in Old Basing to visit a 700 year old church in the full moon of an autumn evening and ponder what might have been ... and may some day be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear of your frustrating business dealings. Way to be positive....

November 12, 2008 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger scotty and crystal said...

Bummer about the UK, those Brits. Perhaps you should open a shop in Malika?!?!?!

Miss you guys.

November 13, 2008 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Danae Jones Photography said...

Fiona, I added you guys to our blog link list...so now we don't have to feel creepy stalking each other =)

November 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home