What if everybody in the United States flushed the toilet at the same time?
So I like to think about unusual or offbeat topics, and this came to mind. Actually there was a story about this so my thoughts are not completely original, but I figured it was worthy of a blog post. Did you know that Nov 19 is World Toilet Day? I'm not making this up! So what would happen if everyone in the United States decided to flush their toilets at the same time in celebration of World Toilet Day? Since as far as could be determined - no one's ever tried it before - you can't say for certain exactly what would happen. But we can take a pretty good guess: "It would be ugly," says a wastewater treatment facility operator who was interviewed. There would simply be too much wastewater trying to pass through the pipes at the same time -- and the flow of sewage would stop. Sewage would back up in most cities pretty quickly. Eventually this sewage would find its way to the place where this whole debacle originated -- your home. Not only would your toilet overflow, but so, too, would every wastewater line in your home, including your shower, kitchen and bathroom sinks, and even your dishwasher and washing machine. Outside, the manhole covers dotting the street would also flood and overflow, leaving people in sewage possibly more than ankle deep. Bummer. Depending on how many people live in your city and how large the sewer pipes are, it could be even worse. Oh well, something to think about ...


2 Comments:
"Oh well, something to think about ..."
Is it ok if I don't? I would rather think about how I feel about golfers.
I have actually asked myself that "toilet flushing" question as well. Sounds like it wouldn't be a good thing to try. I've also wondered, while doing a random task, just how many other people in the world are doing that exact same thing at that exact moment. For example, when I push the "start" button on the dishwasher - how many other people just did that? A hundred? A thousand? A million? My mind must be wired a bit like yours, Kevin.
Post a Comment
<< Home